Saturday, June 16, 2012

Blinking Dots

Hidden Treasures
After lunch with a friend yesterday near Piazza Navona, I stopped to look at a menu of a restaurant that was recommended to me and saw someone I used to work with seven or eight years ago.  I didn't know him well and really didn't want to have the small talk conversation so I just kept walking by.  However, I couldn't believe how random it was.  In this huge foreign city with thousands and thousands of visitors each day, what are the odds of me seeing someone I once knew in California when in the same city it's so difficult to find a place or someone you are actually looking for.  

Earlier that same day I was walking by Piazza Colonna, which has been the seat of the Italian government since 1961 - kind of like Italy’s White House, but definitely not as busy or symbolic as ours, I saw a fantastically dressed woman with gorgeous gold sandals walking into a hotel.  I remember thinking to myself that she must be the wife of someone important if not very important herself.  That afternoon, on the other side of the city, I walked out of a cafe to see the same shoes on that very same woman navigating the cobblestone in front of me.

As I kept wandering the tiny, curving streets of this ancient city with hidden treasures around every corner, I imagined a bird's eye view of the area and pictured all of us people with tracking devices on each of us and each represented by a little blinking dot.  I sat down on the bench overlooking the Tiber to rest my feet and remembered thinking about this concept when I first met Whitney.  Our paths had some so close to crossing so many times or probably had passed a few times.  But for whatever reason, our eyes didn't end up meeting until that particular night, at that particular location, sitting in those particular seats facing each other on a night where neither of us were necessarily looking.  I'm forever thankful for the fact that our blinking tracking dots were in sync that evening.

As I walk around the city I wonder which blinking dots are crossing paths with future friends or future loves...

 http://www.tellussomethinggood.com/post/9694776039/letting-go-of-the-need-to-map-it-out-to-arrive
Via www.tellussomethinggood.com

3 comments:

  1. did this work

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ali, after writng 4 million comments that have gone unp[ublished, us cyber challenged boomers feel that this may now work. David and I just had a Mac lesson today.. wee love all of your blogs and only wish they'd reached you! Your Roman familia are womderful to witness. And all of your pictures. Please keep them coming!
    We love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. David and Mary you guys are so great. Looks like the comments finally worked - sorry it was such a pain!! Thanks for reading and for sharing your comments. Love you!

    ReplyDelete