Saturday, June 9, 2012

Amici Nuovi (New Friends)

It's a rainy Saturday morning in Rome so I thought it would be a good time to send an update.  

Thanks to some advance networking and friends of friends, I was actually able to get out and socialize this week.  It was very welcome.  While wandering the streets da solo (by yourself) is wonderful, but I start to crave conversation and am anxious to get to know people here.  

We planned an aperitivo in Trastevere at 9, which is when most people in Rome venture out for dinner.  As I live on the other side of the city I planned on walking, but when the offer for a ride on a scooter came up, I had to take it  At first I was really nervous because if you've ever been to Rome, you know the drivers are crazy!  Luckily there was an extra helmet and I didn't hesitate to hop on.  What an amazing way to see the city!! Zipping through the cobblestone streets with some of the most beautiful buildings surrounding you, brief vistas of the city lights in the distance, and the warm summer air all around you... definitely one of those moments where I wanted to pinch myself.

We stopped at the Piazza del Quirinale, which provides some of the best views of the city at night.  The Quirinale Palace is the official residence of the President of the Italian Republic and has been the home to thirty popes, four kings and eleven Presidents of the Republic.  I forgot to take a picture, but you can get a feel for it here.  It's on Quirinale Hill, the tallest of the seven hills or Rome.

We then stopped for a drink in the busy and social piazza on Via dei Serpenti in Monte where a lot of young people live and are out and about.  Rome at night is just as lively as it is during the day.  Finally, off to dinner!  We parked across the Tiber and walked across Ponte Sisto (heh) to get to Trastevere.  Beautiful views of the Saint Peter's Basilica/The Vatican as you cross the bridge.

Ponte Sisto crossing the Tiber



We put our name in at Ristorante Dar Poeta and went to wander the streets of Trastevere.  I later realized when looking at the map it's just blocks away from one of the apartments I was considering (which is not saying much because I think I "considered" about 15 different places before finally deciding on my apartment).  Trastevere at night is so full of energy and young crowds.  Dinner was delicious (I'm sure I'll be dedicating a few individual posts to discuss the food alone so I won't go into it here).  Dining al fiore (outside), eating pizza, drinking wine and speaking with new friends makes for a wonderful dinner!

The next day I had a lunch date with Gina, friend of Annie's (Annie lives in Milan and spent some time in Rome a few months ago) near Campo dei Fiori.  I'm glad I left early because mi sono perso again. I always seem to have a good idea of the area I'm in, but have a tough time finding the exact streets!  Anyway, like me, Gina is currently not working so has time during the day to enjoy a long lunch and a glass of wine.  She called herself "a lady who lunches", which I think I'll take on as a title as well.  We ate al fuore at the delicious Cul de Sac  ristorante.  My ravioli was amazing and I have no idea what was in it.

After lunch I wandered around the Campo dei Fiori area a little bit but my feet were killing me and I had thirty minute walk back home (I need to find a bicicleta).  I know I'll be back to explore the area in great detail in a few days.  This is one of the best things about being here for longer than a few days - you can always come back to explore more.  This area has some of the most charming small streets and piazzas... and the balconies with flowers... sigh!  I'll probably have an entire post with pictures of balconies.  I always seem to be incredibly charmed each time I pass one of these.  



Meeting amici nuovi not only provides great conversation and the introduction to new places, but those who have been here a while can introduce you to the faux pas of a new culture.  A few I picked up this week: never order a cappucino after 11 a.m., don't touch the fruit in the supermercato unless you are buying it, and when getting to a crosswalk, just walk - the cars will stop.  If you wait for them you'll be there all day!

2 comments:

  1. Ha, Sisto! Your writing is a lot better than you think it is! I love the tips at the end of this post - who knew?

    Love you lots.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had seven cappucinos in one day when we visited Rome, well after 11 a.m., so apparently I committed a faux pas without even realizing it. Whoops!

    Ali, your writing is fabulous!

    (Hi, Brooke. Thanks for posting the comment above this one. Now I get the Sisto thing. LOL!) Xoxo and much love to you both!

    ReplyDelete